Programs and Communication Manager
Are you looking to get your start in women’s leadership development? Do you crave an environment where you can “geek out” over event details and social media while at the same time interacting with diverse women and expanding your network in Washington? Are you a self-starter who wants to learn about the inner-workings of a small nonprofit from an experienced manager? If you answered yes to these questions, The Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN) may be the place for you!
About the Position:
PLEN seeks a highly motivated and passionate Programs and Communication Manager to join our small but dynamic team. The person will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing PLEN programs; managing the organization’s online profile and email program(s); as well as assisting with day-to-day operations and administrative tasks. Knowledge of higher education institutions, social media, and some event planning experience is highly preferred. The Programs and Communication Manager will report to the Executive Director. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position.
- Manage all aspects of planning and facilitating workshop design, logistics, delivery, and execution;
- Serve as primary interface with students before and during programs;
- Process program registrations and prepare program materials;
- Interface with program vendors such as caterers, hotel, etc;
- Manage PLEN Student Ambassadors program and Alumnae Network;
- Support the creation of program reports and evaluation.
Communications and Marketing
- Manage and lead content creation for all social media accounts;
- Manage all aspects of the organization’s website (WordPress) including the creation of content that highlights student, alumna, and organizational achievements;
- Manage student recruitment efforts with PLEN member and non-member schools;
- Lead marketing efforts including blast email program and written materials.
- Maintain/order office and program supplies;
- Answer phone inquiries, sort mail, and prepare outgoing mail;
- Assist with financial administration;
- Support data entry efforts for program participants, speakers, donors, and other PLEN supporters;
- Support recruitment and management of interns.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of professional experience, nonprofit experience preferred;
- Highly motivated self-starter and problem solver with strong work ethic and entrepreneurial attitude;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail and superb organizational skills;
- Experience managing and creating content for various social media platforms;
- Some graphic design experience strongly preferred;
- Experience managing projects and/or events and a track record of follow-through and success;
- Interest in nonprofit management;
- Flexibility for travel around the DC metro area and ability to work some evening/weekend hours if needed;
- Proven ability to interface with the public in a customer-focused environment;
- Sense of humor;
- Commitment to PLEN’s mission.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but the Programs and Communication Manager may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Travel around the DC metro area and extended hours may be occasionally required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary in the low 40s. Excellent benefits package including health coverage; paid annual, sick, and holiday leave; retirement; and other benefits.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references (in one PDF file) to
PLENcareers@plen.org. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PLEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color and women are especially encouraged to apply.
The mission of the Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN) is to increase the number of women influencing all aspects of the public policy process. We do this by focusing on college women, bringing them to Washington, DC for a series of educational seminars that give them the skills, networks, and confidence they need to lead.
PLEN seeks qualified candidates for our Summer Internship. We offer a dynamic environment for interns to develop their professional skills, build their network, and gain experience working at a small nonprofit.
- Supporting PLEN’s social media and other communications activities and analyzing social media;
- Editing PLEN blog posts, and writing two personal blog posts about internship experience;
- Coding, summarizing, and presenting survey results for PLEN’s seminars;
- Drafting material for PLEN’s newsletter;
- Promoting PLEN events and seminars through various outlets;
- Updating and organizing PLEN’s Salesforce database;
- Assisting with donor research, grant writing, and other fundraising tasks;
- Helping to plan and execute alumnae, donor, and board of directors events;
- Processing contributions and donor acknowledgements;
- Creating and organizing materials for donor meetings.
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to manage projects independently and readiness to assume a high level of responsibility as a member of a team;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work well in a small office environment;
- Passionate about PLEN’s mission;
- Enthusiastic and creative;
- Experience with social media, editing, or blogging;
- Familiarity with WordPress, Excel, Google products, Hootsuite, Canva, Facebook, Twitter, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Salesforce.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (700 words) to email@example.com with “Summer 2019 Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Open until position is filled. We encourage early application as screening will be conducted as applications are received.
Preferred start date:
May 28, 2019 (or before). 32 hours/week
A small travel stipend is available. PLEN encourages interns to attend networking events in DC during their internship and will be flexible to accommodate those that take place during work hours. Interns are expected to attend PLEN events when possible, including seminars, networking receptions, fundraising events, etc.